Real Madrid’s players are in self isolation and all activity at their training ground has been suspended after one of the club’s basketball players tested positive for coronavirus.
The team had been due to train at Valdebebas on Thursday morning ahead of their league game with Eibar at the Bernabeu on Friday — which has now been officially postponed after La Liga put all matches on hold for at least two weeks.
– Coronavirus: Cancellations and reactions in sports
- Juventus defender Rugani tests positive for the coronavirus
– Mbappe tests negative for the coronavirus
– Man United back Prem suspension for the coronavirus
Real Madrid’s Champions League round-of-16 second leg with Manchester City — due to be played in Manchester next Thursday — has also been postponed.
Footballers and basketball players share common areas at the Real Madrid City training complex on the outskirts of Madrid.
The identity of the basketball player has not been revealed.
“Real Madrid confirms that a player from our basketball first team has tested positive after tests carried out for coronavirus COVID-19,” the club said in a statement. “From this moment, the recommendation has been followed to keep both the basketball first team and the football first team in quarantine, given that the two squads share facilities at Real Madrid City.
The statement continued: “At the same time, it has been decided to close the facilities at our training complex and it is recommended that all Real Madrid personnel who work at Real Madrid City should remain in quarantine.”
Real Madrid striker Luka Jovic revealed late Thursday that how he and his teammates were told about the situation.
“We went to training this morning, but people from the club came and told us we don’t have training or anything for the next two weeks. We must all stay at home and not leave Madrid,” Jovic told Serbian publication B92, according Spanish out AS.
“Since I got injured and I didn’t train for the last two or three days I’ve used the same facilities as a player with coronavirus.
“I feel really well, I don’t have symptoms, we’re waiting for the club’s decision.”
Sources have told ESPN that Real Madrid took the decision following the recommendations of the Spanish Ministry of Health, and activity at Valdebebas will cease for a minimum of 15 days.
The club have also advised family members and partners of first team staff to return home to reduce the risk of further infection.