The winter transfer window is closed, but now it’s time to look ahead to the summer! Here are the new rumours floating around Europe’s big leagues and beyond.
TOP STORY: Man United scout Stoke City teenager
Premier League side Manchester United are plotting a move for Stoke City defender Nathan Collins, according to the Sun.
Red Devils boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has reportedly sent one of the club’s top scouts to watch the towering centre-back as he plans for the future.
The 18-year-old has made just 12 first-team appearances for the Potters so far, but he made his first start under Michael O’Neill in Wednesday’s draw with Blackburn, in which Collins helped the Potters to register a clean sheet.
The 6-foot-5 youngster is said to be highly rated by various clubs and is reportedly one of six players on Solskjaer’s wish list, while Jack Grealish, Federico Chiesa and Raul Jimenez also were all linked with a move to Old Trafford.
22.39 GMT: D.C. United have acquired veteran playmaker Federico Higuain, who will serve as a player development coach in addition to his role as an attacking midfielder. Read the full story.
21.12 GMT: Celtic are hopeful of tying down 22-year-old striker Odsonne Edouard to a lucrative new contract amid expectations that Leicester will bid £30m in order to reunite him with former Hoops boss Brendan Rodgers, who recruited the France youth international from Paris Saint-Germain, according to the Record.
19.45 GMT: Our colleagues at ESPN Mexico write that Edson Alvarez wants out of Ajax amid dwindling playing time under Erik ten Hag, based on a report in Dutch outlet De Telegraaf, but that the Amsterdam club rejected offers from both Tottenham and the LA Galaxy for the 22-year-old former Club America standout.
18.18 GMT: Arsenal are preparing to send scouts to monitor 25-year-old Sassuolo midfielder Domenico Berardi, according to Calciomercato.
16.51 GMT: With Daniel Sturridge having his contract at Turkish outfit Trabzonspor terminated, the Sun reports that Aston Villa and David Beckham’s MLS franchise Inter Miami are keen to recruit the 30-year-old striker, while CBS Sports adds that 2018 MLS Cup champions Atlanta United are likely to gauge the former Liverpool front man’s interest in filling in for Josef Martinez, who tore his ACL on Saturday.
14.22 GMT: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has said that failure to qualify for the Champions League for a fourth consecutive season could mean that the club will struggle to attract top talent.
Arsenal’s hopes of qualifying for Europe’s elite club competition this season were dented after they crashed out of the Europa League at the hands of Olympiakos on Thursday.
“It’s a no-brainer,” Arteta told reporters when asked if it was easier to sign players with Champions League qualification secured.
“Every player in the world wants to play Champions League and if you talk about having this option on the table, players are much more open to join or renew their contract.”
13.37 GMT: Chelsea manager Frank Lampard has said that future of benched goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga is in the Spaniard’s hands.
Kepa became the world’s most expensive goalkeeper when he moved to Chelsea for £71.5 million last season but he has struggled recently and been replaced by Willy Cabellero last month.
“Everyone here is in control of their destiny,” Lampard said in a news conference when asked about Kepa’s future at Stamford Bridge.
12.30 GMT: Wolves have not spent as much as some of their other Champions League qualification contenders in the transfer market this season, but the ESPN FC panel reckon that they are making the best push for the top four.
11.43 GMT: Chelsea target Dries Mertens is set to sign a new two-year deal at Napoli, according to Sky in Italy.
Mertens, 32, was subject to interest from Chelsea during the January transfer window, but the Belgium international is set to end speculation over his future with a new contract with the Serie A side.
The stiker’s existing deal is due to expire in June, but Mertens is now expected to sign a two-year contract extension.
10.18 GMT: Manchester United star Paul Pogba has been widely linked away from Old Trafford this season amid his lack of playing due to an ankle injury… but the midfielder could be set to make a comeback.
The France international will make a return to United first team training this week, sources have told ESPN.
Pogba has been sidelined since Dec. 26 as he recovers from surgery on his ankle that followed an injury he first suffered at the end of September.
He has played just eight times for United this season, but his return to competitive football looks to be imminent.
09:31 GMT: Former Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has terminated his contract at Turkish side Trabzonspor, the club have announced.
Sturridge, who joined Trabzonspor on a three-year deal in August, scored seven goals and recorded four assists for the Turkish Super Lig side in all competitions, last making an appearance in a 2-2 draw with Besiktas in February before sustaining a toe injury.
“We thank Daniel Sturridge for his contributions to our club and wish him success in his future career,” the club said in a statement on Twitter.
The club did not reveal why the 30-year-old’s contract was terminated.
08.01: GMT: Kicking things off with news from Germany, and United States international Tyler Adams has extended his contract at RB Leipzig until 2025.
The 21-year-old joined in January 2019 and has since made 17 appearances for the Bundesliga team.
“I’m delighted to have extended my contract with RB Leipzig until 2025 and to continue being a part of this fantastic, ambitious club. I’ve developed a lot both as a player and as a person during my time here,” Adams said.
RB sporting director Markus Krosche added the club were delighted to have the versatile U.S. international at the club for another five years.
08.00 GMT: Welcome to another edition of LIVE Transfer Talk! Let’s get started …
PAPER TALK (by Liam Wheeler): Sancho prepared to stay put?
It’s time for another update regarding one of football’s longest-running transfer sagas. (We’re fed up with them, too — we promise.)
Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid already have been touted as suitors for Jadon Sancho, who joined club Borussia Dortmund for a bargain £8 million three years ago.
The Bundesliga club are certain to make a huge profit should any deal materialise in the summer, with potential buyers faced with a staggering £100m price tag to land the forward.
Perhaps better still for Dortmund, their star asset could yet stay after insisting he’s happy where he is, the Mirror reports.
Sancho took his Bundesliga scoring tally for the season to 14 by converting the only goal of the game as Lucien Favre’s side beat Freiburg 1-0, but speaking afterward, the 19-year-old cooled speculation surrounding his future.
Sancho reportedly told the media: “I don’t really look at all them things. I just concentrate on my team and take it game by game. That’s the most important thing for me now.”
Milan to renew interest in Bernardeschi
The Rossoneri are said to have been locked in relentless negotiations with the Turin-based club throughout the winter months and were even willing to part with Lucas Paqueta to facilitate a deal, but one failed to materialise due to the clubs having different valuations of the pair.
But Bernardeschi — who has featured regularly for the Old Lady this season and also has been linked with Barcelona — remains at the top of Milan’s wish list, with the club hoping to exploit its strong relations with Bernardeschi’s agent, Beppe Bozzo, to strike a deal against the odds.
However, the Italian outlet writes that Milan will first need to resolve ongoing issues involving the club’s management, which likely would impact any negotiations and transfer policy.
– Cristiano Ronaldo won’t be joining new MLS outfit Inter Miami after the Portugal star told reporters he’s happy at Juventus, as reported by the Star. Ronaldo and Miami owner David Beckham share common ground, having both donned the famous No. 7 shirt at Old Trafford, but the duo won’t be linking up anytime soon after the former confirmed he is “very happy” in Turin.
– Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says he wants Dean Henderson to compete with David De Gea for a regular starting spot when he returns to Manchester United in the summer, the Mirror reports. Henderson has been in fine form for Sheffield United, who have made no secret of their desire to sign their loan star of the past two seasons on a permanent basis, but that now looks unlikely. “We want the best possible squad for Man United and Dean’s our player,” Solskjaer told reporters.